Boss’s Day is coming up (Monday, October 16th) and it is NOT too late to pick up your card. You’re welcome for the reminder!
While you may think this is just another Hallmark Holiday, it actually has a lot of meaning behind it. Traditionally a day for employees to thank their bosses for being awesome throughout the year, this holiday was created with the intent of strengthening the bond between employer and employee. First celebrated by Patricia Bays-Haroski in 1958, National Boss’s Day is actually registered with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (Patricia’s own doing). Working as a secretary (for her dad) at State Farm Insurance, she chose her father’s birthday — October 16th — to set aside a special day to show him the appreciation she knew he deserved.
Following our fun little history lesson for the day, Team NRPR wanted to share some of the top things we look for in a boss, and send a ton of love and giant thank yous to our awesome boss, NRPR Group Founder and CEO, Nicole Rodrigues. Nicole: Thank you for ALL that you do for our team! We’re honored to be part of what you’re building and can’t wait for all the fun we know is still to come.
Without further ado, here is a little bit from our team on what they think makes an awesome boss, all traits and qualities Nicole exemplifies day in and day out.
- What I look for in a great boss is someone who wants to invest in me. As the employee, people often times focus so much on just securing the job or investing a lot of time and effort to impress those they work with. That’s important — of course — but it’s really great to be somewhere that your boss is genuinely devoted to training you and making you better. -Cadie, Marketing & Business Development Manager
- What I look for in a boss is someone who can always see the bigger picture and keep everyone on track. Nothing is worse than working for someone who is unorganized. Bosses often have a lot on their plate and it’s a rare talent to find someone that can not only multitask, but motivate and lead by example. – Jen Rogers, Director
- A great boss is someone who is a great leader and takes accountability for their team and their team’s growth. They are willing to invest time in teaching everyone on their team to be great leaders and how to come into their own potential so they too can take the mantle and shine. – Delia Mendoza, Assistant Account Executive
- I think a great boss is someone who tries to make personal connections with their employees and works with them to make sure they’re fulfilled in their role. I think honesty is very important and although sometimes it can be difficult to endure in the moment, I think it ultimately creates better relationships and work output. Having a boss that’s a pushover is probably the worst thing an employee can have when it comes to long term growth and happiness! – Alex Anderson, Marcomms Account Executive
- A great boss is someone who understands their employees, looks for ways to elevate them, and makes sure they have a voice in the compan! -Diego Alcala, Executive Assistant
- What I look for in a great boss is someone who trusts that their employees will do great work based on their skill sets and experience. We all make mistakes and it’s important that your boss lets you learn from those mistakes during the disciplinary process. – Tiffany Woo, Account Executive
Nicole, thank you for being all of the above and SO MUCH MORE!
Now we want to hear from you: What traits do YOU look for in your boss? Also, let us know how you’re celebrating them this Boss’s Day! We’d love to know. Share more in the comments below and stay up-to-date with ALL of the latest and greatest news from NRPR Group by signing up for our bi-monthly newsletter, HUSTLE WITH A CONSCIENCE!